About Me

My photo
I live with my long term partner and two wonderfull children in a quite Nook of the North East of England. I'm a sahm and intend to say that way for as long as possible.I'm a commited veggie and enjoy cooking lots of differen't types of veggie/vegan food, yoga and the odd glass of real ale.

Wednesday 22 July 2009

Stovies

I don't know if it's because i haven't been home for a while but I have this sudden need to eat something Scottish. Goodness knows where these sudden cravings have come from. May be it's the distint lack of artery clogging amimal fats that are missing from my diet or the need to want my teeth to fall out, all by them selfs but all I want is some chips with brown sauce and a can of Barrs Red cola, I'm even dreaming about the veggie hagis supper I will get from a certain famous chippy I know of. Well I can't have any, of those, so there. But what I have been able to pull together is a veggie version of every Scottish childs favorite Stovies. It's one of those dishes like Scouce from Liverpool, Colcannon bubble and Squeak that if you ask any Scotts person how to make it you get a different anwser form each person. Wars have been fought over lesser things. My grannie would make it with sausage, my friends mum with minced beef and I've even read that there's a versions with chicken and fish. Any way here's mine

Lorna Veggies Stovies

4 med potatoes peeled and chopped into bite sized pieces
3 carrots peeled and chopped
large onion chopped
stock made up
oil
couple veggie sausages I used frozen Quorn as they keep their shape well but you could use Relate chicken/beef style pieces

Put around a table spoon of oil into a heavy pan and brown off the sausages then add the onions and fry till clear. Add the potatoes and carrot fry for a couple of Min's then cover with stock. Put a snug lid on top and leave to cook for around 40Min's.
Proper Stovies should be on the dry side with little or no gravy.

No comments:

Post a Comment